Welcome to the Master's level application page for international applicants. On this page you will find all of the documents and information you'll need to apply to the Master's level programs at VTS. Use this application form if you are NOT a United States Citizen and reside outside of the USA. The international application form and process assumes that applicants are applying from countries other than the United States. If you are NOT a US citizen, but are: 1) a permanent resident (green card holder); or 2) an F-1 student visa holder currently studying in the United States and in a process toward ordination in an Episcopal Diocese in the United States, please contact the VTS Admissions Office to discuss whether this is the most appropriate form for you to use.
The international application process for Virginia Theological Seminary takes place in two stages. The items listed below must be completed as part of the first stage in the application process.
PLEASE NOTE: the application deadline is December 1 for the next academic year (the first term of the academic year begins in August). We will not consider incomplete applications or applications received after the deadline.
The application process for international students is as follows:
- Complete and submit the electronic application form available on the website.
- Gather the following materials and mail them all together in one packet to the VTS Admissions Office, Virginia Theological Seminary, 3737 Seminary Road, Alexandria, VA 22304, USA.:
OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS: Request official transcripts of the courses you completed and the grades you earned from all colleges and universities you attended. Select an academic credential evaluation company from the list available in the download section of the webpage and arrange for that company to evaluate and equate your transcripts and degrees to degree programs in the United States. If your transcripts are not in English, you will need to obtain notarized, authorized translations of them as well, either from the administration at your college or university, or from an academic credential evaluation company. Include the original transcripts, academic credential evaluations, and translations in the application packet that you mail to VTS.
A RESUME or CURRICULUM VITA which describes your educational background, professional work experience in ministry, continuing education you have completed, and/or publications you may have authored.
AN ORIGINAL ESSAY of 5-6 typed, double-spaced pages. This essay should include:
- A brief description of your understanding and practice of Christian ministry. How did you come to be in this ministry? Describe your setting (parish, diocesan administration, college or university, etc.).
- An assessment of your academic abilities and preparation for graduate level study. Give examples of your academic work thus far. What was your major area of academic interest? What original research have you done in this field of study?
- A clear statement of your educational goals that can be directly related to a course of study offered at Virginia Theological Seminary. What do you hope to achieve while at VTS, and which areas of study and courses will help you achieve those goals? Please refer to the course catalog found on the VTS website for a list of courses offered.
FOUR LETTERS OF REFERENCE: You will find a reference letter request form in the download section of the application webpage. Print four copies, complete the top section of each form, and give these to your references. Ask them to compose their replies, seal their recommendations in envelopes, sign the envelopes across the flap, and return the sealed envelopes to you. You will include the four, sealed letters of reference in the application packet that you will send to the VTS Admissions Office. At least one letter should be from your academic adviser or other faculty member who can tell us about your academic achievement while you were at your college or university. One letter should be from your bishop, ecclesiastical, or academic authority.
A PASSPORT SIZE PHOTOGRAPH
A COPY OF THE FACE PAGE of your PASSPORT
A $75.00 APPLICATION FEE: Please contact the admissions office for advice about how to pay this fee.
Your application materials will be reviewed after the December 1 deadline. We will then notify those applicants who are eligible for further consideration about next steps in the admission process which will include:
- Arranging for an admissions interview through Skype, telephone, or with a VTS representative in the applicant's home country.
- Providing financial aid application information: we will contact eligible applicants and ask for information about income, savings, sources of educational funding, and other information necessary to determine financial need.